Electric Kanna Karnival 2017 -- My Experience at my First 'Green' Festival


When I learned that Auto City Speedway in Clio, MI was going to be home to a 'green' festival called the Electric Kanna Karnival, I figured I would go and experience it. You know, for scientific purposes.

I'm what you would call '420 friendly'. If you want to partake in cannabis, responsibly, around me, I am very cool with it. I'm familiar, but not completely schooled in everything. I've been to numerous rock shows and various other outdoor events, but I have never experienced an event that catered directly to cannabis culture. I know I am really coming late to the party as medicinal use is legal in Michigan, but better late than never, right?

When I got to the gates, I was welcomed by smiling people who were very helpful in finding where to go. I stepped into the area that was gated off and designated for cannabis. I wanted to know what has changed with cannabis since my friends were hawkin' dime bags of 'oregano' back in the day.

I was greeted by an overwhelming sense of awe. I was amazed at the ingenuity of the community. There were the standard joints, dabs, and pre-rolls. Then something caught my eye. Cotton Candy. Yes, I am a sucker for sweets, and this was right up my alley. There was a very knowledgeable lady who was talking about her medicated cotton candy. I asked her a series of questions that any new comer would ask, and she answered them with no judgement at all. It was great! I thanked her for the education, and moved on to booth after booth of very caring people who were very helpful and not intimidating at all. All had very unique items and the entrepreneurial spirit was alive and well.

After making new friends in the medicated area, I moved out to where the stages were. The performances were great, and everyone was just 'being cool'with everyone. I did not see one fight, or disagreement, or anyone acting like a jerk. I saw people hugging, dancing, and being generally great to one another. Now, this is my kind of place! I don't have to deal with that one drunk guy at a rock show that has his shirt off and trying to start fights while projectile vomiting. Not happening here!

My experience with the Electric Kanna Karnival was a very positive experience. Not only was everyone associated with the festival friendly and helpful, but everyone at the festival that I talked to were all there to educate, be cool, and have a good time. Not a bad idea.

So, again, why isn't recreational use legal in Michigan?